danny_dub

German Style Number Plates

danny_dub

Hi, i rele like the german style number plates but are they road legal?

tomo87

somebody PLEASE make a sticky about this!!!?!?!?!?!

sorry mate, yes they are illeagal but its a bit of a gamble realy - imo best off getting them without the D band.

phillyt1988

yeh illegal enough for me to not risk them seeing as I'm on 3 points already...

skatty_01

They are 100% ill-egal. I've had them on with a GB band for three months with no hassle though. Depends on how brave you are. Also if your car is modded youre more likely to get grief - mines standard pretty much so i get no attention.

Guest Shaun_VW

Well i got a lovely £30 fine slapped into my hand last night for having them...

aparently, everything was ok font wise, but the way he saw it was, we arn't in germany (D band), and their not reflective :doubt:

mooey65

they are reflective?

L5NTN

mine are reflective,,,,i thought the problem was with the font.

jason11

I've had mine on for 4/5months been pulled twice but nothing just checking there spaced out right, got my proper ones in boot tho !!

wbr

Yes, they are reflective, you cant get points for having them just a fine, just carry your standard ones in your boot and be nice to the copper, I've been running mine since I've had the car

Mine have the D band, had coppers behind me and never been pulled

If your driving like a div, then you will get pulled, if your driving normally then you should be fine IMO

Guest Shaun_VW

yeah well this one just wanted his £30 fine out of me and little bonus to his pay packet i assume!

nothing else better to do than do someone for their number plates!

Guest Shaun_VW

well, i had german plates, till some mug backed into the front of my car with a jeep, oh, and a towbar. So i need a new front plate and the plate recess on the bumper pulling back out.

Never ending project....

Guest Tom66

I think I'm just gonna go for standard pressed plates, no D.

tomshere

i have a mot certificate here.the law on plates.any car made before spetember 2001 can have slanted or different writing as long as it is readablle.

if the coppers can read it-they cant do you

NOZ

Didn't know that but usually they still fine you and you then have to appeal making it annoying. I was about to get german style plates till I got 3points at work so can't get another or i'm fired :angry:

Might chance em reflective without the D

NOZ

That basically means standard lettering font then :angry:

Guest jholtz

I've got german plates on right now but i've not passed my test as yet and I want the two little things that go in the spacing but obviously dont want to attract too much attention when I pass my test.

any advice?

G40
I've got german plates on right now but i've not passed my test as yet and I want the two little things that go in the spacing but obviously dont want to attract too much attention when I pass my test.

any advice?

As before, they aren't legal, and you face a fine of driving around with them on. You also risk having your car checked over and being hassled over other things. The tax discs in the spacings will make them even more obvious.

Alex

The cost of the plates, plus the chance of being pulled and fined, or even just pulled and hassled, sounds like more trouble than it's worth for a mod which let's face it not many people are really going to notice.

I love German plates, don't get me wrong, I think they're a nice touch, but they're a massive pain in the ass by the sound of it.

Quinny

They are a complete hassel.

My plates were noted for being too reflective and dazling to other drivers, I was given a list of illegalities.

I had the UK plates in the boot but still got a fine. I was let off the points for being polite to the officer and admitting straight away that I was in the wrong.

I spent a few hours looking this up on the internet, everything the officer said was actually true.

Guest PoloG60(D)
I love German plates

he he i love german plates too=)*gg*

riskie
I love German plates

he he i love german plates too=)*gg*

dont u guys try n use british plates?????

mk7-sarah-c

but whats the logic in that?

:lol:

Oily Fingers

so can u have just plain pressed metal plates??? with no D or GB at the left hand side. Just plain pressed metal ones??

Guest pologti76

i got pulled for speeding a couple of months ago by a traffic officer on a motorbike for doing between 90-100 and he checked around my car looked at my plates and jusy asked why did the 0 have a bit cut out so i said they were german plates and he just carried on looking at my car he was more interested in looking at the tiny bits of tyre missing due to scrubbage than my plates.

oh and i got away with the speeding.