Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

I Dont No What Size Alloys I Need On My Polo??!!

Guest zub2007

hi, I'm new to this forum, i purchased my polo from the volswagen garage in manchester, its a VW Polo 1.4 TWIST 3DR 2004 and the colour is Diamond black.

I wish to put the RS8 alloys with the tyres but i dont no what sizes i can put on the polo as it isnt a very big car i was hoping to get something between 17" and 18", theres a link below of the ones i wish to purchase

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-RS8-Audi-VW-Style...oQQcmdZViewItem

So..... anyone help me and give opinions on what the car would look like with those particular Alloys

Thanks! :-D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• V800DUB

• Mike_Rigby

• Stebbi

To start with:

please don't pm people and expect help as not all people with know everything about all marks of polo

Bitch over with

2004? that'll be a 6n2 or 9n?

not being an expert on wheels and tyres. check with the seller about getting the right profile tyres for your car.

might be worth starting a thread in Dub style as they be the experts!!!!

stick to some 16"s and give it some decent lowerage and low profile tyres.

18"s in my opinion.

but then again thats only an opinion, and each to there own

Guest zub2007

i have 14" now i want to put 17" on 18" is going to damage the arches i have been told that 17" there shouldnt be a problem and lower it 40mm and also how would i lower the car if i wished to in the future? thanks

Guest SixDegrees
i have 14" now i want to put 17" on 18" is going to damage the arches i have been told that 17" there shouldnt be a problem and lower it 40mm and also how would i lower the car if i wished to in the future? thanks

What size tyres, ie the numbers on the side?

eg, 185/55-14 is a Mk5 tyre size. Whats yours say?

The issue with alloys is just size, it rim width, off-set (ET) and tyre size in combination with the above.

If you have 14" I doubt 18" will fit cos the smallest profile tyre will be too wide, 17" will be a push, 16" should be fine but better advise after you tell what size tyres you have now.

EDIT: some checking and I think you're 5x100, which would give you a 185/60-14 as standard, which means you can fit a 205/40-17" tyre to a 7x17" alloy. Make sure the ET (off-set) is around 35. 18" would require a 205/35-18" which I don't know if they make and if they do it's going to cost ££££.

:)

:)

Edited by SixDegrees
To start with:

please don't pm people and expect help as not all people with know everything about all marks of polo

Bitch over with

did he just randomly PM asking you for help with his wheels? :?

i think 16s will be fine, 17s are a bit too much and you can lower it more with 16s :-D

hi, I'm new to this forum, i purchased my polo from the volswagen garage in manchester, its a VW Polo 1.4 TWIST 3DR 2004 and the colour is Diamond black.

I wish to put the RS8 alloys with the tyres but i dont no what sizes i can put on the polo as it isnt a very big car i was hoping to get something between 17" and 18", theres a link below of the ones i wish to purchase

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/17-RS8-Audi-VW-Style...oQQcmdZViewItem

So..... anyone help me and give opinions on what the car would look like with those particular Alloys

Thanks! :-D

Hi your car will no doubt have 185/60*14tr at this point. I have just upgraded my twist to 16 vw contours they are 16*7j with 205/45*16 continentals sport contacts. These went on with no hassell whats so ever( poss need to lower the car abit) this will help the look of your car big style. on ebay there is a guy called "cowiefox" if you ask him a question about these wheels he may have some left I got mine for £140 for 5 brand new and he works for vw so parts are genuine and not knock off. good luck.

Alright speaking from first hand experience i've put 17 inch wheels on my Polo 9N 2004 model. I have then dropped it by 50mm and it sits beautifully. My only advice would be to not put 18 inch wheels on as for the size of the car i reckon its just too much. However with 17's on i would say its possible for 60mm lowering. Don't just slam springs on it though as they'll rattle around you need the shorter shocks and whatever springs you want on them. I wouldn't put the rs8's on either i personally just think they're common and you see to many golfs and bora's with them on. Show some style and be individual i've got 10 bars on and they look sweet, check out tuning.co.uk and look at the rieger polo with 10 bars on it they look much better then RS8's!

Guest zub2007

what rims are they the 10 spoke ones they look preety nice!

Alright speaking from first hand experience i've put 17 inch wheels on my Polo 9N 2004 model. I have then dropped it by 50mm and it sits beautifully. My only advice would be to not put 18 inch wheels on as for the size of the car i reckon its just too much. However with 17's on i would say its possible for 60mm lowering. Don't just slam springs on it though as they'll rattle around you need the shorter shocks and whatever springs you want on them. I wouldn't put the rs8's on either i personally just think they're common and you see to many golfs and bora's with them on. Show some style and be individual i've got 10 bars on and they look sweet, check out tuning.co.uk and look at the rieger polo with 10 bars on it they look much better then RS8's!

Dont really think the lad is getting treated very fairly to be honest, he asked a for some advice, no one gave him it, so he felt the need to pm someone in order to get the help he needs!

thats one thing i dont like about CP, arrogant folk like you mike! Fair enough i dont understand why he would pm you, since you have a mk4, but give the kid a bloody break!!! He's new!

Zub, i wouldnt go 18's if i were you....mciver9n has them exact wheels and they work nicely with the car, but he is on air ride! I'd pm him if i were you in order to get the best advice with regards to these wheels!

As for tyres, i reckon it would be something like 195/35/17(not 16!!!) or 195/40/17, not entirely sure to be honest.

Hope this helps a little

The 10 spokes on mine are Dezents not sure if you can get em any more i grabbed them whilst i could. The ones on tuning.co.uk i have no idea, however i'm pretty sure most 10 spoke would look good as long as they're not too thin. Still not sure if 18 inch is ideal, but each to their own its not my car is it. 16 or 17inch i'd stick with and make sure you slam it down because 9Ns look like tanks unless they're floored big time, 50mm is a must don't touch anything less. If you go on facebook and join the group "i love my VW polo" there's a picture of a black polo with 18's on and its been lowered 60mm i'm not sure if thats the truth but it does look pretty sweet its worth a look just to show you how much you don't need to put RS8's on and how being individual pays off. Make it your car that you want to see not what everyone else wants to see mate.

Guest zub2007

thanks a lot polo01 and v800 dub you guys r top! and anyone else who didnt take the piss! yeah i think I'm going to go for 17" as 18" will look a bit to much just need to find the right alloys now!

Make sure you try the wheels on like you would shoes, you don't want to spend loads of your money on something that looks good on a rack but not on your car, 17's will be good mate like i said earlier if your wanting to take it further get it lowered by at least 45mm to make it look sweet, just watch out for insurance though they don't mind alloys but as soon as you mention lowering or any other mod they just don't seem to want to know, the tyres mine are on are 205/40/17's by the way don't know if that helps at all but something was mentioned about tyres earlier?

By the way don't worry about people like mike either because he doesn't even realise that 6n2's weren't made in 2004 only 9n's on the polo line, so talk about newbies pal, but it seems mike knows nothing about VW anyway.. Nuff said.

Guest zub2007

very true mate, one more thing those tyre size you have on yours there is no problems with them at all? if not ill go for them tyres coz they look smart on your polo with those rims

By the way don't worry about people like mike either because he doesn't even realise that 6n2's weren't made in 2004 only 9n's on the polo line, so talk about newbies pal, but it seems mike knows nothing about VW anyway.. Nuff said.

No problems 205/40/17's to be honest with you they're just ones that came with the wheels when i bought them but that size is fine. Do you know how to put pictures on cos i've looked everywhere for an upload sign for the gallery but i can't find one anywhere i can't even manage to creat me own flippin gallery