big4244

New Engine/Bike Carb Conversion

twin40racer

and so did joel on 2 cylinders :lol:

big4244

Glad I'm not the only muppet then!!, Few more pics, starting to come together!

DSC01029.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

What you think?

big4244

Nothing major happening at the BIG 4244 camp, braced the carbs

DSC01060.jpg

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01063.jpg

Jabemeister

Hey! great post this..and great article on Bogg Bro's... :wink: I've had this in mind for my mk1 polo with gt engine..got Susuki GSXR 750 carbs ready to go on, but just have to get off my arse and attempt to make the manifold for em..

One question for you...dont suppose you know if you have to angle the inlet pipes from head to carbs to ensure float bowls on carbs are level?

I've thought about this one, and I'm assuming that its relevant, but not sure..any pointers?

Also, any ideas what size you have to drill the main jet out to for the various sized engines? id love to know for my 1.3..maybe someone could post a list up with sizes...

By the way, this mod is used quite a bit on 1.3 16v suzuki swifts..check out the swift forum if you wanna find more info out...

Keep up the great work peeps!

Jabe

big4244
Hey! great post this..and great article on Bogg Bro's... :wink: I've had this in mind for my mk1 polo with gt engine..got Susuki GSXR 750 carbs ready to go on, but just have to get off my arse and attempt to make the manifold for em..

One question for you...dont suppose you know if you have to angle the inlet pipes from head to carbs to ensure float bowls on carbs are level?

I've thought about this one, and I'm assuming that its relevant, but not sure..any pointers?

Also, any ideas what size you have to drill the main jet out to for the various sized engines? id love to know for my 1.3..maybe someone could post a list up with sizes...

By the way, this mod is used quite a bit on 1.3 16v suzuki swifts..check out the swift forum if you wanna find more info out...

Keep up the great work peeps!

Jabe

Cheerf fella, well by pure accident they look at the right angle! il put that to skill though haha, well for 1.6 i had to drill the mains to 1.5mm and block an air hole which will cause more fuel to be pulled through, id definetely give bogg bros a call and ask them for a 1.3 advice though mate, its so easy to do, the hardest part was the manifold, but if i managed it anyone can!

big4244

Modified the top cambelt cover back plate today, as in going to be running a vernier pulley and wanted to see it, running a bottom cover to try and stop stones, and was going to leave the top cover completely off, but i have now found out the cam timing mark is on the back plate, well here it is,

DSC01071.jpg

big4244

Not exactly any progress on the engine, but been busy at work making somewhere to put my oil pressure gauge, instead of a horrendous pod! what you think?

DSC01116.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

oldeboi

Good work fella.

Is this clamped in or did you have to get clever with it?

big4244
Good work fella.

Is this clamped in or did you have to get clever with it?

Just got clever! haha, cut the hole just a mm to small then its a 'snug' fit!, cheers

big4244

No real news, But today ordered my camshaft, newman cams 272 degree, high lift, and hopefuly if theve got one a pulley to suit, so may have some real progress soon! yay

Brownyg40

nice fast road cam that !!!!

i have a 286 for my booted mk2 on zx6 carbs just need time to finish it

big4244

All i need is time now! i cant wait, i had the choice 268 or 272, i wanted seriously lumpy idle! so i went 272!

djdafish

I'm interested to know how your engine runs on a 272 as I'm considering buying one myself.

MikeyMK

I should've really enjoyed this topic,but it was tarnished by the first page. When did i ever say my Fireblade-carbed MK2 1.6 AEE Coupe could out sprint an M3 from 30-90 mph? Course it couldnt. Yes,it just held a big-arched A4 with an RS4 badge on a rolling punt along a quarter mile up hill,but i said he would've pulled away given more road. And yes it had no problem with an RX8.

MikeyMK

The Audi was probably an auto in one gear,and i made it very clear that i had no traction in lower gears,and ran out of gears by 90mph because it kept breaking 5th. And i didnt leave the site because of the attitude from some people,gutted id hit a 160bhp/ton ratio for a fraction they'd paid. Its a heavily retarded engine standard,you could get it to 90bhp with a Pierburg..

tobyk

Hmm my comments they would have been. I'm sure you said yours was quicker to 90 than an M3 but I could of course be wrong. Anyway... you're back now.

Out of interest, did you have any problems with the spark plugs on yours? Or was it you who made individual flanges? I can't remember.

MikeyMK

Its nice to see the progress with the Big 6n. I was concerned about the angle of the inlet straight away,though that car probably doesnt have the brake cylinder clearance issues. And the floats,yeah,could get fuel starvation. Should be ok,though. But the gearbox,thats my worry - i broke four with the brutally torquey cam,albeit a few degrees advanced. Being a 6n,id be converting to the Golf box.

MikeyMK

Yeah Toby,thats what made this topic so painful - seeing the bloke making life hard for himself! Where was this page when he needed it? http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...25&start=25 Yeah,i spun some top-hat flanges on a lathe,they take o'rings and taper out from the bore of the ports,to the bore of the pipe. Cheap. Easy. Best way with these things.

Andy
But the gearbox,thats my worry - i broke four with the brutally torquey cam,albeit a few degrees advanced.

What did you break on each of the gearboxes? Were they scrapyard specials?

Even with >200bhp and >200lb/ft torque you can usually expect a few thousand miles inbetween rebuilds if you use a decent 'box. A 1.6 8v on bike carbs shouldn't worry an 085 transmission if it's a healthy one.

Gaz

ABU engine has an inlet gasket you could've used.

MikeyMK

The first box was the original 8p,which was low mileage,and faultless prior to the conversion. All i did was renew the oil with 80w/90 and take it for a drive. It started kicking out of 5th within a couple of hours. I then fitted two scrapyard specials,one from a 'MK3' Genesis and one from a MK3 Golf. They each lasted no longer,the Genesis being on 75w/90.

MikeyMK

The fourth box was a 4-speed. I figured philosophy was the answer. But it turned out it had the same first four ratios and screamed for a fifth. It lasted a good 400 miles,then it wouldnt go into first. Id never had any problems with gearboxes before. It had power,with wheelspin always available in third,in the dry,just on the throttle. But not the kind of power you're talking about,Andy.

Guest Joel

nice to see some updates on this topic.

I got mine bike carbed AEE on the road yesterday. and had it RR'd today. It put out 43hp and 65lb/ft at the flywheel :D but it was just bogging down. I've not done anything to the carbs since they came off the bike. and i've got a slight air leak on cylinder 1 at the carb - silicon interface :(

The angle of the carbs wont hardly matter a toss. If you look at how they are fitted on an R6 they are near one vertical! the trumpets point almost completely upright.

I made a similar mistake to you with the spark plugs. I left room for them, but not enough room for a to get a socket on them to undo them should the need arise! :lol: oops.

I want to completely re do my inlet manifold though, and mod the carb jets to suit the motor too.

big4244

Just read through all the recent post's, mikey sorry if you are offended, by the sound of it everyone exagerated abit! What gearbox are you running now? I'm going to be running a 1.4 8v bo but with rivets removed from crown wheel and replaced by nuts/bolts, and new bearings all round, and when i can get my hands on one a GT box, any ideas what BHP your running at all?

big4244
I want to completely re do my inlet manifold though, and mod the carb jets to suit the motor too.

Hi joel have you sorted your beasty's running probs out yet? have you drilled your jets at all? or are the carbs as they came off the bike?

Edited by big4244