Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk1-3 Polo 1.4 16v FAQ + Conversion Guide

grungeisdead

grungeisdead

Mk1-3 Polo 1.4 16v Engine Conversion – How-To & FAQ.

Right, well seem as there is a thread nearly everyday about the subject and I've just finished my first engine conversion with thanks to the knowledge I've picked up over the last 3 years of being a member on this forum and getting hands-on with stuff, I thought I would repay the kindness with a little guide to help those who want to undertake this conversion.

This is a little thank you to all those that performed this conversion before myself and found the many pit-falls and let us all know so it would make our lifes easier.

So big thanks to the following

Matthew - For your advice, CAD shiz and for making me buy the AFH Lump haha

Humer – Thanks for the crane dude, lifesaver! Soon to be a Dad too, Congrats!

Antoni – Your a clungemeister but legend for hooking me up with loads of essential parts at short notice and all the heavy-work (and yer mate Paul)

Karl_CL_Coupe – Your a Clungepirate and absolute legend for all your help with all the safmobiles!

Charlie – Living room painting flex ftw. This girl is on triangles.

And massive thanks to these guys and the following threads, shit loads of technical knowledge here, but you need to book out a few hours!

Mathew -

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...=114252&hl=

Heg123 -

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...c=83616&hl=

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...=137295&hl=

Max_Crox -

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=31303

Gofasterpinch -

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?...c=30998&hl=

Renegade440 -

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=122913

MikeyMk + Humer - Top posts all over the forum, but more-so in the following thread which is an essential read!

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=160802

Fitting Bike Carbs - Total Vauxhall Magazine Article

Hope this helps a few people

Bike Carbs Info from Total Vauxhall

Edited by grungeisdead
  • Like 5
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• grungeisdead

• erixtar1992

• harris.racing

• mark_crox

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mk1-3 Polo 1.4 16v Engine Conversion – How-To & FAQ. Right, well seem as there is a thread nearly everyday about the subject and I've just finished my first engine conversion with thanks to the

Fitting Bike Carbs in a mk3 So anyway. To the meat! What do I need? 1 x Mk1/2/3 Polo ENGINE 1 x 1.4 16v (AFH Engine Code) out of a Mk4 Polo 16v “Valver” Engine Mounting Plate GEARBOX, A

Hey guys. Rang VW about that G40 Oil T-Piece. They said something about a banjo fitting that comes in two separate parts. Works out as about 40 quid for the two. Does this sound right? I was g

grungeisdead

Fitting Bike Carbs in a mk3

So anyway. To the meat!

What do I need?

1 x Mk1/2/3 Polo

ENGINE

1 x 1.4 16v (AFH Engine Code) out of a Mk4 Polo 16v “Valver”

Engine Mounting Plate

GEARBOX, ALTERNATOR + STARTER

1 x Mk2/3 Polo Alternator

1 x Mk4 Polo Alternator Pulley

1 x Mk2/3 Polo 5-Speed Gearbox

1 x Late Mk3 Polo Starter Motor + Mk3 Flywheel

OR

1 x Mk4 Polo Starter + Mk4 Flywheel

FUELLING

Set of Bike Carbs – 600cc+

Inlet Manifold made for the above – Group Buy HERE

Facet Solid State Pump

2 T-Piece's

Fuel Hose

Spring Hose Clamps

IGNITION

Mk2 Polo Distributer

Mk2 Polo Ingition Amp

Mk2 Polo Ingition Loom

Mk2 Polo Coil

AFH Leads

SUSPENSION

G-Ladersiete Blocks

EXHAUST

AFH or Polo/Lupi GTI Standard Manifold and downpipe

OR

Stainless Steel 4-Branch

+

Welder to join the two

Edited by grungeisdead
  • Like 2
grungeisdead

Engine

Remove Top Engine Mount

Remove Alternator

Remove Power Steering Pump and Mounting Assembly off the engine

The Mk1/2/3 Engine Mount will attach to the Mk4 Engine, but with only two bolts.

This can be used but you should put a plate behind the engine mount, and drill a 3rd through the plate to attach lower down on the block into one of the now redundant power steering pumps mounting holes.

custom inlet manifold - ideally the ports on the head need to be opened up to match the round ports of the inlet manifold

the manifold is also tapped for vacuums (small for vacuum advance on dizzy and larger for servo if your using one)

DSC02223.jpg

grungeisdead

Gearbox

If you car was not already a 5-Speed.

You'll need :-

1 x Mk2/3 Polo 5-Speed Gearbox

1 x Mk2/3 Polo 5-Speed Gear Linkage (Complete from Shifter in-car to shift rod that goes into the gearbox)

1 x Mk2/3 Polo 5-Speed ARB

1 x Mk2/3 Polo 5-Speed Front Gearbox Mount

4 of the 5 AFH Gearbox Mounting Holes match the 5 – Speed Gearbox. Bar that it fits without any other modifications (Note :- Dependant on flywheel, see next section)

EDIT :- - see below quote by me

the 5 speed anti roll bar basically has a kink as the 5 speed box is larger than the 4 speeder, itll rub against it otherwise.

i converted my mk2 4 speeder to a 5 speed, all i changed was the actual cage that fits on the end of the linkage rod, all other parts are std 4 speed (albeit the antil roll bar), just set the linkage underneath by removing the gear lever, getting karl to shout when it was in neutral, boshing the splined shift rod into the shift finger on the gearbox end, and making sure we could select all gears, if not take the splined shift rod out, twist it in either direction a smidge then put it back in, and then try your gears again.

some people say you need to take a bit out of the tunnel or remove a plastic tab but I've been selecting gears fine matey, id did go shitty for a while but readjusted it and its sweet as a nut again

Edited by grungeisdead
grungeisdead

Mk4 Flywheel or Mk3 Flywheel?

You can use either a Mk3 or Mk4 Flywheel with the AFH engine and Mk3 Polo Gearbox

Your choice of flywheel determines your Starter motor choice.

Pro's for Mk4 Flywheel

1)You dont need to remove the flywheel and clutch from your donor AFH engine

2)You can use the Mk4 starter motor and dont have to search for a very late Mk3 Slim Starter motor

Con's for Mk4 Flywheel

1) Heavier & Bulkier than Mk3 Polos

2)Will catch on the Driveshaft flange when you try and fit the gearbox, meaning its nigh-on impossible to get off in situ and impossible to get back on in situ. - You can grind a flat on one on the gearbox flange to clear

Pro's for Mk3 Flywheel

1)Lighter

2)Less Bulky – Gearbox is a direct fit no messing about

3)Will take Mk3 or Mk4 Polo Clutch

Con's for Mk3 Flywheel

1)Need to use specific late Mk3 Starter motor, all other Mk1/2/3 starter motors are too large and will not fit properly against the gearbox

2)You need to change the 6 stretch bolts that hold the Flywheel to the engine when swapping over, but these are cheap and plentiful.

grungeisdead

Alternator

The Mk3 Alternator fits the AFH engine but requires a couple of changes.

Alternator Belt Halfords HB680G (no longer exists)

6pk 680 is the size/code 6pk being six ribbed 680 being the lengh, a 4pk 675 will apparently fit aswell (4 ribs out of 6 might help save space against your arb bracket)

Mk3 Alternator

Mk4 Alternator Pulley

Fine Cutting Implement (Hacksaw or something mechanical)

Vice

Mk2/3 Bottom Alternator Mounting bracket

I used the following method.

Cut down the mk4 pulley so it is just the size of the ribbed belt

Remove the Mk3 Pulley noting the order of the spacers and keeping hold of the woodruff key

Fit the Alternator to the Mk3 Engine Mount (attached to the AFH engine)

You need to fit your Mk4 Pulley to the Mk3 Alternator and space it out so it is perfectly in-line with your crankshaft and the fan-belt is straight.

You can do with with spacers, ensuring your keep the Mk3s brush fan.

Now there are two ways you can keep you pulley attached and in place

1 Pikey Method

Get some big washers and pop them over the alternator shaft and torque up the nut to F-T. You need to be absolutely certain the pulley will not slip otherwsie you'll need to use method 2.

2 Proper Method

The Mk3 Pulley has a woodruff key, which locks everything that is fitted to it in place,

Cut a groove in the inside portion of the mk4 pulley wide enough for the woodruff key and into any spacers you are using.

Torque up the nut on the alternator shaft, it doesnt need to be F-T but some loctite is a good idea. The pulley and fan won't slip on the shaft now as they are locked in place by the woodruff key.

NB. The alternator belt will rub against the ARB bracket, youll need to tickle this with a grinder for clearance, trial and error really so a crane is a lifesaver sit it in, check clearance, lift it up, whop out the grinday, try again etc

grungeisdead

Fuelling

Facet Solid State Pump

OR

Bike Fuel Pump (Self-Regulating)

Fuel Lines

Fuel Clamps (Spring Clamps are best)

T-Pieces

Fuelling is supplied by creating a loop with a facet solid state fuel pump

DSC_0195.jpg

Fuels goes Tank -> Inline Fuel Filter -> Fuel Pump -> Tank

04102009859.jpg

but inbetween the Fuel Pump -> Tank, there is a T-Piece connector that feeds the carbs. The carbs are only fed by the back-pressure, reducing excess pressure and omitting the need for regulator.

22092009816.jpg

The same could be achieved with a swirl pot, which acts as an accumulator holding a reserve of fuel for times when your pump cannot supply (such as tight corners where all the fuel is sloshed into a corner away)

grungeisdead

Ignition

Mk2 Polo Distributer

Mk2 Polo Ingition Amp

Mk2 Polo Ingition Loom

Mk2 Polo Coil

AFH Leads

The Correct Late Electronic Mk2 dizzy - Part Number 030 905 205 A or 030 905 205 B

IMG_2309.jpg

The AFH dizzy on the left vs Early Electronic Mk2 Dizzy (avoid for use in the conversion)

DSC02274.jpg

Ignition Wiring Required - Shown Ignition Wiring Loom, Ignition Module - Also required Late Mk2 Coil

Mk2ignitionpack.jpg

DSC02300.jpg

Mk2 Dizzy fitted to 1.4 16v AFH

DSC02332.jpg

grungeisdead

SUSPENSION

G-ladersiete ARB Blocks - Required to move the ARB forward and downwards for AFH Downpipe clearance

PICT0069Small.JPG

DSC02302.jpg

EXHAUST

AFH or Polo/Lupi GTI Standard Manifold and downpipe

OR

Stainless Steel 4-Branch

+

Welder to join the two

I used the Lupo GTI Standard 4 Branch with a decat downpipe. There was minimal clearance against my anti-roll bar and without the G-Lader blocks, it would not fit period.

DSC02229.jpg

downpie.jpg

Edited by grungeisdead
grungeisdead

Carbs + Throttle Cable

I used CBR600 Carbs + the original bike airbox

DSC02376.jpg

Mounted with samco-style hoses

Weber throttle cable part number 99901628

DSC02630.jpg

DSC02631.jpg

Throttle Cable Adjuster for the above

Weber pedal block, part number 99901645

DSC02637.jpg

Weber Pedal Block was the perfect fit for the polo pedal, and the weber throttle cables end was a direct fit with no need for filing into the bike carbs throttle lever assembly.

Edited by grungeisdead
grungeisdead

Cooling System

You can use all your existing hoses from your old engine, its all plug and play, cant remember if we had to chop any, but its all simples, just get stuck it and youll be fine.

For the Coolant Temp Guage in the dash, you need to replace the 4pin yellow sender on the AFH engine (in the pic below), for a 2 pin black temp sender from a Mk3.

DSC02410.jpg

One pin connects to the blue/yellow wire, and connect the other to an earth, (i used a small stud on the back of the head)

The wire to connect as on the original Mk2s engine

DSC02398.jpg

NB.

Mk3 Owners can just use thier Mk3 Loom Plug.

Edited by grungeisdead
grungeisdead

Oil Pressure Switch

Keep hold of the two oil pressure switches from your original engine

DSC02396.jpg

Get hold of a t-piece so you can use both senders - this is an oem VW part from a G40

DSC00333-1.jpg

Removing the green plug that will be fitted on the AFH

DSC02410.jpg

fit t-piece and original mk2 engine oil pressure senders

DSC02633.jpg

Edited by grungeisdead
grungeisdead

Finished(ish) Product

acid test is this weekend, will post up recent pics as these were from a couple of weeks back when we were still sorting out teething probs

DSC02405.jpg

DSC02411.jpg

DSC02414.jpg

th_MOV02437.jpg

th_MOV02438.jpg

Out on the road now

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02634.jpg

DSC02632.jpg

Edited by grungeisdead

Good write up mate, good progress from when i met you at E38 when the engine was in the boot!

Would you like me to move this to the FAQ section or pin it in this section?

grungeisdead

cheers guys =]

aye was good catching up with you at e38 martin, the twin engined polo was a laugh haha

erm pin it in this section so it gets a bit of exposure and then it can get moved to the FAQ section in a bit.

if its in the FAQ section straight away most people wont read it haha

I found it easy enough to fit a far later alternator,using random bolts/washers and making a lower bracket..

22092009813.jpg

22092009814.jpg

Same belt,sits close to the cross member but its clear enough here. Still the same ARB mount clearance issue,but precise belt-alignment position can be adjusted with this method.

12122009106.jpg

awesome guide!!

just out of interest, any idea if these would fit a 1.3cl?

ebay bike carbs

Wrong topic. But those carbs are set up for a 1.6 8v and the manifold is for a Ford 1.3/1.4/1.6 CVH 8v engine. Carbs themselves would be fine for a 1.6 8v Polo.

• Like 1
grungeisdead

cheers for that mikey, yeh thats what I figured, had a little play when all the bits were in the house, but id damaged the fan on my AFH alternator and it was/is catching so sounded awful, so decided against it in the end, but something ill definatly be considering for the future, especially as ill be looking to sort out the sound system in her next and will need a juicy amp =]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.