mbusby993

86c Coupe, One Owner from New!

mbusby993

Hello there! After a lengthy time away from Club Polo I return with a 2f Coupe! Always said I’d get one. ?? Some of you on here will remember me from a couple of years ago, I had a 1.4 8v 6n, then a 1.6 mk2 Golf and also a 1.4 16v 6n. All the threads are probably still on here! 

Story goes as such, I’ve been driving a 1.8t Leon and I’m facing the prospect of motorway miles, so I was actually looking for a diesel. Browsing the marketplace on Facebook and I see an advert for a 66k miles 1.3 Polo Coupe for £400. Messaged the dude and had a bit of a chat and decided it was best to go have a look. It belonged to an elderly lady who bought it brand new from the dealer and unfortunately recently passed away. Now, the paint/bodywork is really quite tatty and needs a lot of fixing up, but it’s all still very treatable. It desperately needs a new bootlid! The important thing is that, after a bit of haggling, I’ve bagged myself a one owner from new Coupe with only 66k genuine miles on the clock. Even still has the original dealership plates on it! The dealership doesn’t even exist anymore. 

It’s the 1.3 AAV (I think) motor with a 5speed 8p box. It was a little reluctant to start as the last time it ran was the beginning of August when it went for its MOT and its sat ever since but I coaxed it to life and drove it home and by the time it had warmed up it was running brilliantly! 

The plan for this week while I’m off work is to gut it and give it a good clean up inside out and go from there really. There’s gonna be a lot of tapping and coaxing dented pieces of bodywork back into shape as old dear (RIP) clearly liked driving into things. 

Long term id like to go down the AFH and bike carb route but for now I’m in no rush and am happy with the 1.3 motor! 

Here’s some photos!

65FFA22B-6EBD-446F-AE72-172284284773.jpeg

B7594492-7356-4AF5-831F-DD5894B530EB.jpeg

4B9D91D3-4270-4E34-B0D6-9CE4E4BB1EA8.jpeg

C43DED3E-0D4A-4DCF-BC52-288B5C3D64AE.jpeg

D0269EDA-22A3-4876-9D3E-35CB7EC61A42.jpeg

mbusby993

Had a go at getting the interior a bit cleaner today as it seems old dear and her dog just used the car without cleaning it once in 25 years. Didn’t take many before photos but it was completely hanging. I think I’ll be on the look out for a nicer interior but I couldn’t leave it as it was. 

Rear bench is toast so will be looking out for another of those. 

7AF47B3C-0601-42F8-B30B-8BC69860D6DA.jpeg

2945A466-A383-48AB-954A-B51A3F38E47D.jpeg

mbusby993

Found the old girls original bill of sale today, from the dealership who no longer exists, Ms Watts paid £7,480 for her! It also has full service history from 92-2013/62k. Now on 66k. It’s been MOT’d at the same garage every year since it’s first and been serviced and maintained by the same garage. Head gasket failure in 08 and timing belt done at the same time. 

CA40ABFD-C58E-4432-A041-5445F6D22423.jpeg

Elijah

Lovely car with a great history.

mbusby993

Hoping I can tidy her up and make her something worth keeping again! Got a few plans already. 

kiran_182

Good find, really cheap. Thatll clean up a treat 

How did the golf end?

Edited by kiran_182

mbusby993

The hunt for a bootlid has commenced. So far the closest one I’ve found has been 320 miles away. ? I’ve been offered one locally with no glass but I imagine swapping the glass might be a pain?

The Golf is a sore subject, I went through some personal rubbish and some things came to an end, and I had nowhere to keep it. So it was sold for peanuts as I didn’t even have the time to put it back together and slap an mot on it. :( 

The Polo is a good little find for the price these days though and will hopefully clean up well. I’ve got some better pictures of the extent of the “damage” now. I think old dear quite liked driving into things, and her or someone seemed to think just squirting a blast of a rattle can would sort it. 

All rectifiable though. I’ve done 52 miles in it since I chucked £20 in and seem to have used about £2, as per the last photo. 

8C828127-7842-4149-B9AA-611B8333FBA4.jpeg

E0A4FB5A-B243-4AA6-9909-FBBFB5A85B78.jpeg

E16DD3A8-B57E-4F67-B0E8-28CB1FA48FD7.jpeg

0CC3D110-91C7-4691-B52A-000356D2D872.jpeg

216C7101-B837-4060-95D6-AAA6B35EEAAA.jpeg

705621A5-A5F5-41E8-AC82-CACEF97D37C4.jpeg

BF9781A5-DC5F-4489-A2C4-7B1165D2A7B9.jpeg

mbusby993

This was just over a year ago now. 

The Coupe is car #14 I think, in just over 3 years. :tongue:

1BD97179-CFA5-4295-8D43-2E9116FA1EF7.jpeg

kiran_182

Hold out for acomplete bootlid and save yourself the hassle

Sorry to hear about the golf situation, was looking forward to it. 

mbusby993

Got the problem right now of whenever it rains water is getting into my boot. :-( I’m not even convinced it’s getting in through the bootlid cos it seems to be coming in much lower. I attacked the area that I thought was the problem yesterday with sealant but it’s not done the trick as I’ve gone out today and there’s a puddle under the boot carpet. It could just be the bootlid after all, but the lid doesn’t seem wet on the inside anywhere. Seems like it’s getting in around the circled area on the inside of the boot. 

8A9EFF04-9B4E-403A-90E8-B3CE065E1D28.jpeg

mbusby993

Yep, that’s identical to mine. I’ve put some sealant over the area that looks to be the cause but it’s still letting a little bit in. I’ll keep an eye on it for now and think about how to proceed. 

mbusby993

This happened today though. To the cars credit it’s done 125 miles in 6 days after not being driven for 3 months and it’s not made a single bit of fuss. Can’t fault it. 

C5C2B5B4-25D1-4D3E-A1A8-9B9231B78654.jpeg

dvderlm

number of the beast!

• Haha 1

mbusby993

Hit my first few issues with the car in the last few days. Went out to it on my first shift back after 8 days off, car struggled to start. Cranked it a couple of times and it fired, thought little of it. Went to pull away, pressed the throttle down... only for it to completely bog down and have no power whatsoever. Tried to rev it a few times to the same effect. It eventually eased off and seemed like it caught it's breath so off I went. Changed into 2nd and... completely bogged down again. :unknw:

Puzzled, I headed back to my house in first gear and got out and had a look. Unplugged blue temp sensor, idle dropped a bit and still ran. Unplugged Lambda sensor and ran but rough. Once it got up to temp it cured itself and was fine for the rest of the drive. Had the exact same today, albeit seemingly more reluctant to clear it's throat, so to speak.

Most logical thing I can think of is moisture under the dizzy cap, which is then curing itself once it's warmed up?

I've ordered a new cap, arm, plugs and a fuel filter as these are the most immediate things I think could potentially cause the issue. Oil and filter were done recently. Also got a stat housing, coolant and a stat on the way as the housing has a slight leak once it's run up to temp.

Looking through the history this evening I discovered she's only done 500 miles in 2 and a half years, and I've just done 150 miles in her in 9 days so I guess I'm not too surprised she's kicking up a fuss!

mbusby993

So today I gave the bumpers a quick attack with a heat gun. Well, I say quick, it actually took bloody ages but hey ho. I wouldn’t normally recommend using a heat gun as they do tend to make the plastics fade a bit quicker in future, especially if you go too hard on them, but I don’t plan on keeping these bumpers as they’re rather scratched and dented etc. But these do look a lot better for the meantime. 

I also tried to pop the bodywork back into place by the fuel filler flap as there was a bit of a crease. I sort of achieved what I intended? :lol:

8E671C89-DEE8-4A6E-B40B-F5CD9EFAE262.jpeg

92908237-0353-4B11-A53B-88CDEC628364.jpeg

8E41D826-DC62-4291-B36A-25EF01F56A5A.jpeg

36EEBF71-D74B-4BF7-B9B3-5CE57F345CE9.jpeg

61761472-B657-41B9-81D5-20B89FA66532.jpeg

1vw2many

That's a massive improvement. I have had a go in the past with heat gun but got fed up and gave in. :-(

Edited by 1vw2many

mbusby993

Probably spent over an hour on it, but I had little else to do with my day off! Hadn’t been paid yet so couldn’t do any of the important bits haha. 

I really wanna source better bumpers so doubt I’ll do much more with this ones. Also I think my running is more than likely gonna turn out to be the dizzy cap because this ones a state. Moisture spots in the cap and the contacts are corroded as hell. 

DC05630C-19C6-4CF4-A040-FFF0C4659BAA.jpeg

Just renewed my CP Membership too. :smiley:

Edited by mbusby993

1vw2many

Lets hope that a new dizzy cap will sort the problem .

mbusby993

Had my service parts order turn up today, after 48 hours, despite selecting the 3-4 days free delivery. Glad I didn’t pay the extra now! Will hopefully get that all done early next week! 

Also took it on the A30 for the first time, which is the closest you’ll get to motorway driving in Cornwall. Ran okay at motorway speeds so that’s a plus. Will be putting it through it’s paces when I relocate 300 miles in just under two weeks! Let’s hope she’s up to it. :lol:

mbusby993

Did a few service bits yesterday. Changed dizzy cap, arm, plugs and thermostat housing/thermostat. No more leaking coolant and it seems to run a touch better. Still having a strange idle issue though. 

And now it seems to run too hot. Settles at just above 90 while driving and rises up to around 100 intermittently. 

Bled the system twice so who knows what’s going on there. 

Not surprised the old housing was leaking though, someone had done a poor job of it in the past and it was pretty haggard. 

Also did a temporary speaker bodge so I don’t have to relocate to Stoke in total silence next week! 

A3C67C53-A680-4312-A74C-FA190F8C2031.jpeg

656E496D-A74E-4FBF-836D-1D21BAC7B2E9.jpeg

AEFE23E7-1F27-41DA-AAA7-DF02BBC4699A.jpeg

mbusby993

So I moved up to Stoke-On-Trent on the 6th and the car was absolutely fine for the drive and had done quite a few miles in the week as well. Only real issue I’ve noticed is that it doesn’t like going into 1st gear sometimes, I suspect stretched clutch cable. And now the temp gauge problem has gone the entire opposite way and doesn’t ever move so I suspect a sensor fault there. ? 

Other than that, nothing interesting to report at the moment! Need a good clean as we took her up to the Peak District and she got absolutely filthy lol! 

4E714AF2-E9A0-4DE5-A554-4C303D523F9C.jpeg